photo nav_home_zps435359c5.jpg photo nav_about_zpsb9122e3a.jpg photo nav_portfolio_zps6da59a10.jpg photo nav_shop_zpsd879ae64.jpg photo nav_advertise_zpsa0d7442a.jpg

Thursday, April 4, 2013

That one time when I thought I was white...

"That one time when..." is going to be a new series here on the good ol' blog.
It may or may not be faith-related.
But one thing's for sure, it will probably be a ridiculous story.
Let's be honest, ridiculousness happens to me more often than I'd like.
So here it is, the story of when I was convinced I was white.

The other day I met my dad downtown for one of our bike rides. We always bike on Town Lake (or Lady Bird Lake for all you non-Austinites) and we usually meet up down there.

So my dad rolls up on his bike and says:

"Hey Traci, I got something for you."
"Oh yeah, what is it?"
"It's your birth certificate."

*well I am glad my dad felt his biking skills were mad enough for him to bike downtown with it hanging out his back pocket. thanks padre.*

As I open up my birth certificate to look at it for the first time ever I see one thing that rocks my world.

It says my parents are WHITE.

"Dad, am I white?"
"Traci, what are you talking about?"
"My birth certificate says that y'all are white."

*Dad just blows it off as he starts to take off on our ride*

"Dad, why is this not a big deal to you, it says that I am white!! I thought I was Mexican!! Have the past 28 years been a lie??"

My dad never responded. He just laughed at me.

Later I told my mom that my birth certificate said that they were white. And she laughed at me as well.

Looking back on it I realize that we are obviously not white, however that would explain how I can not properly pronounce my last name, or how I avoid the mariachis like the plague. Or how Tejano music just doesn't get my juices flowing.

But despite all that I am indeed Hispanic, so no need to panic.

And that's the story of that one time when I thought I was white.

No need to adjust the color on your screen.
This is a tan I got after working at a summer camp.
Mexican indeed.




3 comments:

Jane Caroline said...

so glad you're posting more often!! YAYAYAY.

and I love how your parents just laughed. haha.

Unknown said...

Great story to laugh about. But how did you go 28 years without ever seeing your birth certificate?!

Traci Lynn said...

Brooke- I'm not sure?!?! Haha. I guess I just trusted what my parents told me...now I know better than to do that. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...