photo nav_home_zps435359c5.jpg photo nav_about_zpsb9122e3a.jpg photo nav_portfolio_zps6da59a10.jpg photo nav_shop_zpsd879ae64.jpg photo nav_advertise_zpsa0d7442a.jpg

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Behind The Green Apron

I recently tweeted: "You can tell a lot about a guy by the type of coffee he drinks..." and I got a request from a friend, Nate, to explain this statement in a blog post. I was down with that idea, I thought it'd be a fun way of sharing all the things I've noticed or observed on a daily basis in my life behind the green apron.

For those of you who don't know, I have been a barista for many years. I have met some interesting people and I have even developed some pretty cool friendships with some of my customers. I also love that we are in an area of Austin where "Keep Austin Weird" isn't just a slogan for local businesses but a way of life. I have observed a lot of things in my time spent with Starbucks, and if anything, I have learned that you can indeed tell a lot about a guy by the type of coffee he drinks. Let me explain... (Disclaimer: I do realize that I may not by right on the money with these observations, but humor me and play along.)

Brewed Coffee:
I may be jumping the gun by starting off with this, but I feel like they need to be acknowledged first. Why, you ask? Well because I'm a wuss, and not a coffee drinker and on the rare occasion that I actually do drink espresso it is diluted in soy milk and extra pumps of syrup. I have never been able to drink just a regular cup of brewed coffee, therefore I am impressed. What is even more impressive are the ones who drink it black. I have a customer who comes in every morning at the same time, he is always at the door right as we open and he doesn't even have to say a word and I have his coffee ready for him: grande bold black coffee. It blows my mind every time he takes a sip of his coffee at the register while I am ringing him up because that coffee is almost 200 degrees. That is a man's man right there. I told him once that one day he would change his mind and order something else, but he said he used to get a handcrafted espresso drink but all his buddies gave him a hard time. He caved in, but now he is going all out on his choice of coffee and I can respect that. What's even more impressive than that? The guy who adds espresso shots to his cup of joe. I tip my hat to you, Mr. brewed coffee drinker. You guys are ready to face your day with a strong cup of coffee and no pastry... You are a man's man, indeed.

Americanos/Multiple Shots Of Espresso:
You are almost as impressive as a brewed coffee drinker, you come in a close second. Props to you.

"Skinny" Lattes:
This one is going to be short and (not so) sweet. Mainly because I don't want to sound mean and judgemental, that wouldn't be very nice of me and I also don't want to offend anyone. I don't experience this one often, not very many guys make it a point to get everything sugar free and non fat. On the rare occasion that one does come along, he appears to be well groomed...almost "frat" like, and it would not surprise me if he had a seersucker suit hanging up in his closet. To any guy reading this who prefers his lattes a little skinny but also likes to hunt and kill (animals) on the weekends, holler at me and prove me wrong, restore my hope in all mankind. You will be welcomed with open arms, don't be shy.

Tea/Tea Lattes:
I feel like I can relate most with this type of guy. They are normally nice, easy to talk to and pretty chill. I feel like these guys are comfortable enough with themselves to enjoy a nice cup of tea. (I may sound a little partial to this bunch, and it is because I'm a tea drinker myself.) I can picture this guy hanging out in the cafe with a good book or totally focused on his MacBook.

Creme Frappuccinos/Hot Chocolates
You have no idea what you are doing in this coffee shop, do you? You probably got dragged along to Starbucks with your friends, they told you they get a Double Chocolatey Chip Frappuccino, so you try it and now that is the only thing you ever drink because you don't want to be "that guy" who speaks up and says: "I have no idea what to get here." Be bold Mr. Frappuccino drinker, ask questions, branch out and take the bull by the horns!

So which type of coffee drinker do I prefer? Well I would like a mix of the brewed coffee and tea/tea latte drinker. I like an All American Guy Next Door mixed with a guy who enjoys good conversation over a steeping hot cup of tea.

Ladies, which guy do you prefer? And Gentleman, which coffee drinker are you?

This is my kind of guy right here:
"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis
(Preach it C.S.!!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really funny, because I usually judge guys by the same measure. HOWEVER, I'm a wild-card. IF i have to go to a starbucks, i always only get a mocha frap w/ an extra shot of espresso, but anywhere else, i get brewed, chai latte's, and earl grey teas. Figure that out.

Morgan and Tom said...

Tom always get caramel fraps! Trace you are so funny!

Unknown said...

yessss! I worked in a coffee shop for a year and always stereotyped the coffee orders! But, now I feel extra guilty for ever asking my boyfriend to order my nonfat latte for me, and the judgment I imposed on him!

matty g said...

lol traci this is funny. my only correction would be to separate the people who drink shots of espresso and americanos. i would put espresso second for the whole "man's man" thing, and americano third, simply because it's just watered down espresso!

Traci Lynn said...

Well Nate, by your drink(s) of choice I would say that you are an OSU Cowboy who hates anything Texas, including the wonderful city of Lubbock. You enjoy getting beat on Words With Friends by yours truly and you have a really funny blog. Am I right on? :) Haha but no seriously, I think what I might have said in the post fits you...well, from what I know. By drinking brewed coffee you are a man's man, but by having tea you aren't out to prove anything, you enjoy good conversations with friends, and hanging out in coffee shops...you know you're stuff. What do you think?

Morgan!! I guess I should clarify that creme fraps mean they don't have coffee in them. Tom is totally legit if he gets caramel and has coffee in it too! ;) haha

Amy, I love to hear the guys who come in and order for their significant other and QUICKLY follow up with: "This isn't for me" and makes an uncomfortable face! It is too cute! lol

Matt- You are right my friend, I should have done that. Good call! Oh and we finally work together tomorrow...for 15 minutes!! haha

seekingpastor said...

I don't drink coffee or anything else hot for that matter (except an occasional hot chocolate if it is extremely cold outside). Does this make me a wimp? Maybe. But the inside of my mouth has never been scalded and it sends me thank you notes on my Birthday--so there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...